Adopted by The Committee of Management: 03/07/2018
South Eastern Radio Association Inc (Casey Radio 97.7FM) is committed to community service and this policy outlines our ongoing obligations to you in respect of how we manage your Personal Information.
We have adopted the 13 Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Privacy Act). The APPs came into effect on 12 March 2014. The APPs govern the way in which we collect, use, disclose, store, secure and dispose of your Personal Information.
The thirteen principles cover:
- Open and transparent management of personal information
- Anonymity and pseudonymity
- Collection of solicited personal information
- Dealing with unsolicited personal information
- Notification of the collection of personal information
- Use or disclosure of personal information
- Direct marketing
- Cross-border disclosure of personal information
- Adoption, use or disclosure of government identifiers
- Quality of personal information
- Security of personal information
- Access to personal information, and
- Correction of personal information.
A copy of the National Privacy Principles may be obtained from the website of The Office of the Federal Privacy Commissioner at www.privacy.gov.au.
What is Personal Information and why do we collect it?
Personal Information is information or an opinion that identifies an individual.
We collect your Personal Information for the primary purpose of providing our services to you, providing information to our clients and marketing partners. We may also use your Personal Information for secondary purposes closely related to the primary purpose, in circumstances where you would reasonably expect such use or disclosure. You may unsubscribe from our mailing/marketing lists at any time; all you need to do is let us know.
When we collect Personal Information we will, where appropriate and where possible, explain to you why we are collecting the information and how we plan to use it.
We will not provide your Personal Information for any other purpose other than the reason it was first collected unless:
- you consent to the use or disclosure;
- and where required or authorised by law.
Anonymity and pseudonymity
APP 2 provides for individuals to have an option of not identifying themselves, or of using a pseudonym, when dealing with us in relation to a matter.
This does not apply if, in relation to that matter if:
- we are required, or are authorised by or under an Australian law, or a court/tribunal order, to deal with individuals who have identified themselves; or
- it is impracticable for us to deal with individuals who have not identified themselves or who have used a pseudonym.
Sensitive information is defined in the Privacy Act to include information or opinion about such things as an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union or other professional body, criminal record or health information.
Sensitive information will be used by us only:
For the primary purpose for which it was obtained; for a secondary purpose that is directly related to the primary purpose; with your consent; or where required or authorised by law.
Where reasonable and practicable to do so, we will collect your Personal Information only from you. However, in some circumstances we may be provided with information by third parties. In such a case we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the information provided to us by such third party.
Disclosure of Personal Information
APP 6 provides that your Personal Information may be disclosed in some circumstances including the following:
- third parties where you consent to the use or disclosure;
- and where required or authorised by law.
Australian Privacy Principle 8 sets out requirements for the disclosure of personal information to a person who is not in Australia or an external Territory.
Cross Border Disclosure
- Casey Radio will only transfer personal information to someone in a foreign country if:
- we reasonably believe that the recipient is subject to a law or binding scheme that has the effect of protecting the information in a way that is, overall, substantially similar to the APPs; and there are mechanisms available to the individual to enforce that protection or scheme.
- an individual consents to the cross-border disclosure.
Security of Personal Information
Your Personal Information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
When your Personal Information is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your Personal Information:
- if it is not contained in a Commonwealth record
- if we are not required by or under an Australian law, or a court/tribunal order, to retain the information
Access to your Personal Information
APP 12 provides you with the right to access the Personal Information we hold about you and to update and/or correct it, subject to certain exceptions. If you wish to access your Personal Information, please make out your request to us in writing.
Casey Radio 97.7FM will not charge any fee for your access request.
In order to protect your Personal Information we may require identification from you before releasing such information.
Casey Radio is not required to give an individual access to their personal information if giving access would be likely to prejudice one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body. The term ‘enforcement related activities’ is defined The Act.
Maintaining the Quality of your Personal Information
It is an important part of providing our services to you that your Personal Information is up to date. APP 13 provides that we take reasonable steps to make sure that your Personal Information is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
It is important that you advise us at the earliest opportunity of any changes to your Personal Information so that our records can be updated.